Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Dog and Cow friendship

While Cow and Chicken have a cartoon, Mauly and Cow have a real-life relationship.

Mom says everyone loves seeing how animals interact in unusual ways. There are news stories about elephants and dogs and cats with dogs. Humans tend to look at is unnatural or odd.

I don't think it's odd at all. We're all in this world together, so we should be friends. Despite my loud and annoying barks, I like to think I can get along with my neighbor dogs, the birds, those darn cats and those little rabbits I hunt.

Mauly found a new friend the other day during an evening walk. Mr. Food Boy and Mom let us walk up to a fenced pasture that contains a cow – a calf really. While we were peering into the wire looking at it, Cow walked over to us.

Within a few minutes, Cow was pushing his head through the fence and licking Mauly with his large, blackish tongue. "Remind me not to touch Mauly's head," Mom was telling Mr. Food Boy as she laughed and urged him to get out the iPhone for a picture.

Mauly, who has been growling a bit at fellow dogs in her path, was totally still and quiet as Cow licked her face. She even poked her head in a little closer through a square in the fence.

The next day, Cow came up to greet Mauly again. He did the same thing, licked her head, watched her, etc. Cow doesn't like me as much. Mom tried to plop me down closer to Cow and he jumped back. I startled him.

On Monday night, Cow actually walked along the fence beside Mauly. Mr. Food Boy decided we had been amused enough, so we "moved on." Cow decided to follow us. At the edge of his pasture, he stopped. He had no other choice.

It's nice to see how animals can get along (sometimes. Humans could do the same, if they tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment