Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I'm going to sleep on this

Here we go again.

The Dow Jones Industrial average took a dive (382 points) today after the Obama bailout plan did little to persuade investors this was a good idea. We're back to a low point in the market that we last saw in November 2008.

We've been at this recession for 14-months now -- I'm not that much older than this thing (as long as you are counting in human years). I'm young, but I don't get what the government is trying to do.

They flushed a bunch of cash (billions) into the economy last fall and it didn't seem to work. As the President talks up the stimulus plan, I keep hearing everyday Americans saying: "My bank won't refinance" or "I can't get a house loan." The more important question is: "How will this plan create a job for me?"

True mortgage rates are low. The stimulus plan includes a lot of nice features to give homeowners incentives to buy a house, but I don't know that it is enough. People are paying too much for these dog houses.

Mom said some people were irresponsible when they purchased their homes. The banks and all the people involved in the homebuying process should have been more responsible. If you make $25,000 a year, you should not be getting a mortgage for a $400,000 house.

Where did logic go? I don't know, but I think I'll sleep on it and see if I can come up with an answer. I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment